Outfit: Dear Curves + Pattern Mixing

ootd-dearcurves1

ootd-dearcurves2

I’m Wearing: Forever 21 colorblock top | Adavi Peplum Skirt courtesy of Dear Curves | Thrifted Steve Madden Luxe pumps (similar & similar) | Handmade “Yhanni” Nefertiti earrings from Shop ALS | Bracelets from Forever 21, thrifting and Walmart (aff)

Have you ever come across a clothing company that really excites you? Found pieces that you know in your heart of hearts you HAVE to have? Dear Curves did that for me. For about two years, I had been looking for a designer that makes modern, figure-flattering plus-sized clothing in African prints. Until I discovered Dear Curves, most of the stuff I found either 1. Didn’t come in my size, or 2. Wasn’t my style. This company makes awesome skirts, dresses, tops and pants in fun, modern African-print fabrics that will make you feel like your best self.

ootd-dearcurves3

ootd-dearcurves4

I am wearing the Adavi peplum skirt, and I love it! It is feminine and beautifully form fitting. One caveat, though. It is a little too form fitting. Typically, I wear a size 14. Dear Curves is based in the UK, and in my experience, UK brands tend to be slightly off in terms of American sizing. In this case, the skirt is a little too small, in part because the fabric doesn’t stretch. It fits, but doesn’t zip past my hips or pass the “sit” test (which is why I took these photos really close to my front door…lol). If I didn’t have any other incentive to lose another 10 pounds, this skirt is it, because I WILL wear it again 🙂 In any case, when ordering, I would go up a size. Dear Curves offers sizes from 14-28.

ootd-dearcurves6

ootd-dearcurves5

As soon as I saw the skirt, I knew I wanted to style it with a black and white striped top. I’ve been wanting to experiment with pattern mixing and saw this as my chance. In this case, I think the thick stripes work as a great counterbalance to the small-scale pattern on the skirt. I added my awesome Nefertiti earrings handmade by the endlessly talented Alex Elle of Shop ALS and a bunch of random bracelets, including one from Walmart’s Empowering Women Together collection. Overall, I was really pleased with the look.

ootd-dearcurves7

I’m linking up with: Dress for the Day | Wardrobe Wednesday | What I Wore Wednesday | Style Sessions | I Feel Pretty | YOLO Mondays | Real Girl Style | Monday Bloom | Friday Fashion Informant | Passion for Fashion

Have you ever tried pattern mixing? Feel free to link to your pattern-mix outfit post in the comments!

54 Flares Facebook 1 Twitter 4 Pin It Share 49 Google+ 0 54 Flares ×
  • Mandee May 10, 2013, 5:19 pm

I always hate to ask a woman her weight, but Oh my word Jennae! You are look amazing! I know what you have been through over the last year with your weight and you are doing absolutely amazing! Congrats lady! 🙂

• jennae May 13, 2013, 1:24 pm

Thanks Mandee! Believe it or not, I’m actually in exactly the same place as I was in February, give or take a pound. I’m really proud of myself for maintaining the loss 🙂 Thanks for your kind words!

• Mandee May 15, 2013, 10:15 am

You are very welcome! Very proud of you for keeping it off! You look great! 😀

• mer May 10, 2013, 8:57 pm

Just read your about page and I’m captivated! I’m so excited to be following your blog now (I know that sounds cliche, but really – I love the mix of “green” and fashion – much more real and fresh! Thanks for introducing me to your site 🙂

• jennae May 13, 2013, 1:26 pm

Thanks Mer! A lot of times, the intersection of green and fashion is tough to find without shopping online, so I’m happy to highlight practical ways to accomplish it (though I’m not always successful. Sometimes “it’s so pretty” wins over “it’s so green”…lmao!

• Sherry May 10, 2013, 11:16 pm

That is one cute peplum skirt! I love the pattern and it looks great on you, paired with the black and white stripe top is perfection.

• jennae May 13, 2013, 1:54 pm

Thanks Sherry. I saw this outfit in my head the second I saw the skirt, so I’m glad it turned out the way I envisioned it 🙂

• @mfashforward May 10, 2013, 11:41 pm

Would love for you to share this at my linkup where we pin all who join http://myfashionforwardblog.com/2013/05/09/all-things-pretty-number-7/

• Joy and Sunshine May 10, 2013, 11:52 pm

This is gorgeous on so many levels! The print mix is perfect and reminds me of something Solange would wear and everyone (myself included :-)) go ga-ga over. Plus, the proportions of the relaxed top and peplum look so nice together. I’m going to have to try that!

• jennae May 13, 2013, 3:24 pm

Thank you! If my style can in any way be compared to Solange, I am immensely flattered. She is one of my style icons, so I’m swooning over the compliment 🙂 I’m so glad the outfit turned out the way I envisioned it.

• Shen Dove May 12, 2013, 9:23 am

Pattern mixing is my favorite way of getting more milage out of my clothing. I love your skirt! It looks great with your striped top and heels.

• Bethany K May 14, 2013, 6:38 pm

Thanks for the close-up on the earrings. Would NOT have noticed them, and I love them!

• jennae May 15, 2013, 10:36 am

Glad you noticed them Bethany! I really love them and wanted to give them the credit they’re due 🙂

• Dhruvi May 15, 2013, 8:17 am

You look uhhhhh-maaaaa-zing! That skirt was def made for you! Love, love, LOVE the whole look!

Dhruvi
    Stilettos & Sequins

• Alison @ Get Your Pretty On May 15, 2013, 9:11 am

There is SO much to love about this outfit but lets start with that skirt – the color, the pattern, the shape are all so perfect. Pairing it with the color blocked top was genius.

• jennae May 15, 2013, 3:42 pm

Thanks Alison! It really came together well, and I’m glad you like it 🙂

• Shon May 15, 2013, 11:48 am

Love it! This is so chic and pulled together with an on trend/cultural twist. I really love the earrings, they remind me of my college days!! Oops, shh…I am dating myself.
    It looks like you are having fun!

• jennae May 15, 2013, 3:42 pm

Lol Shon! No comment about the college days thing 🙂 Thanks for the compliment!

• Antionette Blake May 15, 2013, 12:54 pm

Great job – this looks wonderful on you!

• jennae May 15, 2013, 3:42 pm

Thanks Antionette!

• Aracely May 15, 2013, 2:51 pm

Absolutely love this skirt and I love how you styled it. You look fab!

• Tiff Ima (@stylehonestly) May 15, 2013, 6:19 pm

I LOVE this outfit so much! That skirt is very cute.

Tiff Ima
    Style Honestly

• Abby May 15, 2013, 10:37 pm

j – this is such a gorgeous piece and you styled it to perfection. i love the look and that it makes you feel like your best self! and those earrings, too!

thanks for linking up with dress for the day!

• mfashforward May 20, 2013, 12:38 am

Thanks for joining with All Things Pretty we are live again at http://myfashionforwardblog.com/2013/05/16/all-things-pretty-8/

• Eboni Ifé June 28, 2013, 10:30 am

This is definitely my favorite look from last week’s link up. I love everything about it — the pattern mixing, THAT SKIRT, the earrings. It’s all so spot-on perfect!

• jennae July 8, 2013, 11:27 pm

Thank you Eboni! I’m always excited when an outfit works out in real life as well as it did in my head 🙂