Like many others, things are tight for us this year. In my house, that means more handmade and experiential gifts and less stuff to buy. Of course, for the things I do buy, my intention is to buy green. But I’m realistic. I learned a long time ago that buying a gift just because it’s eco-friendly is pointless and wasteful if the recipient isn’t going to love it.
This is particularly true with fickle kids, who are infamous for playing with a new toy for a few days, then moving on to something else. As such, while I plan to go green for some gifts for my kids, like organic cotton pajamas instead of polyester ones, I will also ask what they want and give it to them (within reason) so I don’t end up wasting time or money.
Given this practical approach to green gift giving, I am thankful for Walmart’s Christmas price guarantee. Why? Well, my daughter is insistent that she wants an Easy Bake oven this year, and my husband wants a couple of specific video games. I imagine these will be popular gifts, so many stores will have them, presumably with varying discounts. However, I have no intention of driving all over town to get the best deal. Thanks to Walmart, I don’t have to. As they’ve been advertising for months, they will match the advertised price on any item if you take the ad in store. However, that requires you to scope out lots of prices before you set in the store to make sure you get the best deal.
Here’s what makes the Christmas price guarantee really wonderful: They will match the price even after you’ve purchased an item. If, for example, I buy the Easy Bake oven, then find a better price on it a few days later somewhere else, I can take my receipt and the competitor’s printed ad back to Walmart and they will honor the lower price and give me back the difference on a gift card. The price guarantee is good from Nov. 1-Dec. 25.
How It Works:
- All branded, general merchandise including toys, home goods, electronics, hardware, etc. are eligible for the Christmas Price Gurantee. Grocery and food items are not.
- Items placed on layaway also are eligible for the Christmas Price Guarantee.
- Items matched must be an identical in-stock product which will be verified by the brand, size, color, grade, quantity, and model number at the Walmart store.
- Customers must bring in their original Walmart cash register receipt and the local competitorâ€™s current printed ad to Walmartâ€™s Customer Service desk through Dec. 25. Once validated, a gift card for the difference will be issued.
- Valid ads accepted are those that are current (date has not passed) andÂ that have been printed andÂ distributedÂ by the competitor. Photos or photo copies will not be accepted.
- Competitorâ€™s online prices are excluded from the Christmas Price Guarantee.
- The guarantee does not cover local competitorâ€™s Black Friday Ads, but Walmartâ€™s Ad-Match Policy will still be in effect on Black Friday.
Do you plan to take advantage of price matching for Christmas? I’m counting my pennies, so I know I will! If you do want to find greener alternatives to gifts the people on your list will want (ie. video games, toys, shoes, perfume, handbags, etc.), check out the Green Your Decor Green Gift Guide!
Disclosure: I am a member of the Walmart Moms program. I was provided with compensation for my time and effort in sharing their Christmas Price Match Guarantee with you. Participation is voluntary and as usual, all opinions are my own.