The past few weeks in the Petersen household have been busy, busy, busy! My husband and I have been been working on a venture that has been several years in the making. Today, my husband and I officially launched Differently Clothing, our new collection of organic cotton t-shirts.
Our designs will focus on a variety of themes, including, but not limited to:
- The Virgin Islands (our hometown) & the wider Caribbean (see â€œV.I. Upâ€ & others)
- Rasta culture and Reggae (see â€œConquering Lionâ€ & others)
- Natural hair (see â€œDonâ€™t Tell Me to Relaxâ€)
- Green living and environmental issues (see “Eat Local“)
- Humor (see â€œPaper Chaserâ€)
- Social and political commentary (see â€œPositive Black Stereotypeâ€)
- Graphic tees
Weâ€™ve chosen to sell our shirts through Skreened.com using print-on-demand. This means that you can select the style and color you want for each shirt.
You all already know that sustainability is a big deal for my family, so itâ€™s only natural that my love for all things green would manifest itself in this venture as well. You can go also access the new site via the â€œSHOPâ€ link in the Green & Gorgeous nav menu.
Since I write a â€œwhy itâ€™s greenâ€ list for everything else I post, itâ€™s only fair that I do it for myself too, huh?
Why Itâ€™s Green:
- Since the shirts are printed only when someone places an order, there is no wasted inventory.
- Weâ€™ve chosen to make our designs available only on organic cotton and recycled cotton tees. The only shirts that arenâ€™t available in organic cotton are the youth tees, and weâ€™ll opt for those instead as soon as they become available.
- Most of the shirts are made my American Apparel in the U.S.
- Skreened is a small printing company with values really similar to ours.