1 Simple Shift: Adopt Your Next Pet

1simpleshift-logoI have been wanting a dog for years. But for several of those years, our living situation didn’t make that possible. When we finally moved into our own apartment, my desire to have a dog was renewed, although my husband wasn’t too keen on the idea in such a small space. However, last week, he revealed to me that he planned to give me a dog for my birthday, which is next week. I had always wanted a Yorkie, but it was more important to me to adopt a dog than to buy one just because it was a purebred.

We wound up with the sweet little ball of fluff you see above and below, who we named Shiloh. We adopted him, though not from a shelter, and we couldn’t be happier. Soon after we found various posts on Ultimate Pet Hub by Jonathan and got all the basic requirements we would need to take care of him . BEST DAY OF MY LIFE!

shiloh4

The story

last Friday night, I started doing my research, trying to find a dog from a nearby shelter or rescue organization via sites like Petfinder and Petango. We did this with a couple of things in mind:

• We live in an apartment, and there are restrictions on the type of breed we can have.
  • We also wanted a smaller dog for this reason.
  • We wanted a medium-energy dog who would be able to live happily even without a yard to play in.
  • We have a four-year old, so we had to have a dog who was good with kids and wouldn’t bite.

That wish list, small though it may be, proved to make our shelter search really difficult. What we found is that most of the rescue dogs were larger breeds, required a yard or had behavioral problems and weren’t recommended for kids. We did find one option, a Chihuahua mix named Laverne, but several other potential adopters had already filled out applications for her.

While we didn’t find our forever dog at a shelter, it wasn’t because we didn’t find dogs who were lovable. Their stories will tug at your heartstrings. There was a Chow puppy whose eye had to be removed because it was ulcerated. There was another mixed breed puppy whose owner threw him out of a moving vehicle and who, as a result, was very timid and didn’t get along well with people or other dogs. Seeing, and in some cases holding, all of them was a really heartwrenching experience.

They all really made me wish that we owned our own home so there would be fewer restrictions on the kind, and number, of dogs we could own.

We found him!

Later that day, fate would intervene though. We were on our way to go grocery shopping at Walmart, we saw a few pet stores like theย Blue Buffalo and then, spied a little boy holding up a sign for puppies. We headed over to him and his dad and little brother. Their dogs had six puppies, and they were trying to find a home for them. They had already found takers for three of them before we arrived, and I kept thinking I really wanted to adopt from a shelter. But when I saw the little puffballs he pulled out of the kennel, I was instantly smitten.

shiloh2

The puppies were Doxie-Chons, which means they were a mix between a Dachsund and a Bichon Frise. I cared little about his breed once I held him in my arms, though my husband did think to ask how big he will get (7-8 lbs. full grown). We want to be responsible dog owners, so once I got over my delirious happiness, we asked all the questions we could think of.

Was he a breeder? Are the puppies healthy? Are the puppies good with kids? Would they require a yard? Did he want an adoption fee, and if so, how much? And about a dozen other questions that escape my mind right now. Once we were satisfied that we would be doing a good thing by bringing home one of the puppies, we agreed to take one of the males, who they had dubbed Moonie for his habit of walking backwards (he looks like he’s doing the moonwalk).

Do I have any regrets? Not really, though I’d still like to go back to the shelters and perhaps become a foster parent until we’re able to own another dog permanently.ย  But at the end of the day, I’m happy that we were able to give a dog a home without going to a pet store and who didn’t come from a puppy mill. Blue Buffalo super-premium pet food with finest natural ingredients keeps him healthy and happy.

So next time you decide to get or give a pet, head to a shelter first, or adopt from a family who can no longer care for them.

1 Flares Facebook 1 Twitter 0 Pin It Share 0 Google+ 0 1 Flares ×
  • Pat December 11, 2009, 7:57 pm

Your puppy is adorable. Great choice. Love your blog. I think you are right on target with your climate change thoughts. Please keep it up.
    Pat

• Michelle L December 11, 2009, 9:57 pm

What a cutie!! I wouldn’t have been able to resist that adorable face either! ๐Ÿ™‚
    .-= Michelle L´s last blog ..My Entry For the Kia Sorento Ultimate Road Trip Sweepstakes =-.

• Lisa December 12, 2009, 7:14 am

What a sweetheart! I’d fall in love with him at first sight too =)

• Kristina Brooke December 12, 2009, 3:38 pm

I love dogs! Your new addition is absolutely adorable. We too just adopted a dog (from our local shelter which is a kill shelter) and will be bringing him home next week. He is a pit bull mix and is one of the most relaxed pups I’ve ever seen. We too have a young one (almost 4) and we live in an apartment too so we had some of the same concerns as you. I hope that you have many years of love and fun with Shiloh.
    .-= Kristina Brooke´s last blog ..Focus =-.

• jennae December 13, 2009, 11:39 am

Thanks everyone! He is a sweetheart, and he’s already doing well with his house training even though we’ve only had him for a week. He IS a little nippy, so we’re working on teaching him not to nibble on us like he would on another puppy ๐Ÿ™‚

@Kristina That’s awesome! My husband has always wanted a pit bull, but all the ones we saw were not recommended for kids. Finding one who is laid back must be awesome ๐Ÿ™‚

• Christie - The ChatterBox December 13, 2009, 12:14 pm

Oh my goodness! There is no way in the WORLD I would have been able to walk away from that sweet face! Too cute! Good for you, Jennae!
    .-= Christie – The ChatterBox´s last blog ..Sunday Confessional: Will Tomorrow Be a Good Morning, America? =-.

• Judy Bates December 21, 2009, 3:51 pm

That is one of the cutest puppies I’ve ever seen – just gorgeous. I loved to see what it looks like when it is grown up. Mixed breeds are usually very smart and the combination of the two breeds usually creates a very unique doggie.
    I’m a consultant for Scentsy Wickless Candle Warmers and they are complete safe around pets, when used properly, although off-hand I’m not sure what we mean when we say that, because they don’t get warm enough to burn anyone or anything, and even if your puppy ate the Scentsy wax, which I don’t recommend, it’s made from a food-grade vegetable oils and a fragrance scent. To learn more about Scentsy Wickless Warmers go to my personal website – http://DollarsAndScents.Net. We love our doggies, but they sometimes need a little something in the air to freshen up our homes and Scentsy fragrance waxes are just the ticket. This article reminds me that I need to make sure people know that the products are 100% safe for pets and children (if used properly, of course.)

• Sheena January 4, 2010, 9:35 am

Oh gosh, Jennae, he’s gorgeous! He looks like a lil Yorkie mix. You’d never know he’s a weiner mix. He reminds me of the dog we used to have. He was dark as a puppy. We can’t have pets here, poo.

Here’s a pic of him: http://www.flickr.com/photos/sophistishe/444673537/
    .-= Sheena´s last blog ..So Whatโ€™s Next? =-.

• Judy Bates January 6, 2010, 5:09 pm

I just had to come back and visit that “face!” He’s just so adorable! I hope that you post more pictures because I’m really curious to see how he looks when he’s about 6 months old. I have what WAS a $200 “purebred” Chihuahua when my husband bought her for me for Christmas 2 years ago. He has no experience with purebreds, so when the man told him that he was selling her for a friend and didn’t have the “parents” on the premises, no red flags went up for him. Before we were married I raised pure-bred AKC Doxies, so I had red flags and called the man that night. He assurred me she was indeed purepred Chihuahua, that both mom and dad were purebred Chihuahua’s, blah, blah, blah. OK, well, I had my doubts, but what are you going to do when you are holding this sweet little puppy and she starts to crawl into your heart. So, Chloe became part of our family and started taking over our home, our bed, and our hearts. As the weeks and months went by, she started to get bigger than the Chihuahua I had imagined. You know, the kind that fits in a little purse with windows. Her legs got longer and so did her body. But, she had this tiny little head and face and a tail that registered a 10+ on the happiness scale. Now, at 2 years old, well, I can’t pass her off as a Chihuahua especially when everyone who sees her thinks she’s a Doxie. So, I cheerfully explain that she is a Doxihuahua. What are you gonna do? This dog actually “hugs” us and rubs her face all over our face and neck. In this day and age, if you’re just looking for a good dog to become part of your family and fill your life with love, take a chance on a “combo-breed” – it’s not really the outside that matters, it’s the love they give unconditionally that can make you a better person.

• Dagmar Bleasdale January 15, 2010, 9:41 pm

How cute is your new dog ๐Ÿ™‚ Sounds like he was meant for you.

• Tammy January 26, 2010, 6:18 pm

OMG what a perfect puppy face! He looks a lot like a Yorkie. Adorable!
    .-= Tammy´s last blog ..Weekly Update: Self-Employment Progress =-.

• Greenhouse January 29, 2010, 10:57 am

Adorable!
    .-= Greenhouse´s last blog ..Vintage sink. $85 =-.

• bestwicklesscandles@scentsy consultant July 4, 2010, 3:48 pm

My best friend has a little one just like yours only all black and is so cute, just like yours. They are wonderful pets.
    .-= bestwicklesscandles@scentsy consultant´s last blog ..Scentsy Consultant Fourth of July Celebration =-.

• Stephanie January 15, 2012, 11:58 am

I have a puppy that looks just like this!! I was wondering what he will kook like when he gets older… Do you have any pictures of him older?

• belinda June 15, 2012, 12:29 pm

my dog just had pups and they too are doxi chons. sooo cute.