Outfit: How to Get a Bikini Body

walmart-fatkini1

walmart-fatkini2

I’m Wearing: Suddenly Slim by Catalina Plus Size High-Waisted Bikini | DVF sunglasses

Let me tell you a story. For years when I was growing up, I wouldn’t be caught dead in just a swimsuit. It’s not that I didn’t swim. On the contrary, I grew up in the Virgin Islands and practically lived at the beach during the summer. Even my December birthday parties were usually at the beach.

However, I was supremely self-conscious about my body. Even as a little girl, I had more meat on my bones that most of the other girls my age. I had hips, and a chest that required support when I was only in third grade. So I swam in one piece bathing suits with a t-shirt over them. Even the handful of times I convinced myself to wear a two-piece, I wore shorts on top. This carried into adulthood. When we lived in Florida briefly, I wore shorts to swim whenever we went to the beach.

So trust me when I say that I have come a long way.

Last year, when Walmart challenged me to share their affordable swimwear, I chose a one piece, because there were no two pieces that fit properly in store, and I really did love that retro suit. However, last summer, I also ventured into the world of the plus size bikini, a.k.a. fatkini. There are probably only one or two photos of it though. That’s saying a lot for this Instagram-loving mama, but I wasn’t completely confident yet.

Before you say it, I do not have a problem with the word “fatkini”. Because “fat” is NOT an insult. It’s a noun, and all of us have it — some in more abundance than others. My feelings aren’t hurt by the word.

Anyway, I’m at a point in my life when I wear what I like — even if that means a bikini. Because frankly, I have neither the time nor the energy to spare worrying about what other people think about my body, or worse, worrying about it myself. So you know that meme that’s been going around about how to get a bikini body? Here’s my addition to it:

walmart-fatkini-quote2

If you want to rock a bikini, do it! No matter what you look like. The world will not come to and end. You will just be another person at the beach or pool in a swimsuit. The end. People will deal.

I love this one from Walmart, because it has a retro pinup quality to it. The bottom is high-waisted, which for me, is a must for any bikini. It covers my bellybutton and the top sits at the narrowest part of my waist, which makes me feel like a curvy goddess. Even four months after having a baby with all the extra luggage I’m packing as a result.

The top doesn’t have underwire, but because it’s a tie-neck halter, you can easily adjust the amount of support you get. I bought a size 2X thinking I’d have more room for my ample bosom, but I actually should’ve gotten a 1X. The top is just tad loose underneath, so I’ll probably wear a black bandeau under it when I go swimming just to make sure I don’t have any wardrobe malfunctions.

walmart-fatkini3

walmart-fatkini4

Overall, it has great support and at just $34.96, the price is a lot better than a ton of other comparable plus size bikinis out there, especially if you want to try wearing one for the first time.

And this is just one bikini in this year’s swimwear collection. I’ll be rocking them at the pool — and hopefully the beach — this year with confidence, because my body is what it is, and I am going to love it and adorn it in things that make me feel good. You should do the same.

P.S. It does help that my hubby loves the bikini, too! ;)

DISCLOSURE: As a participant in the Walmart Moms Program, I’ve received product samples and compensation for my time and efforts in creating this post. All thoughts and opinions are my own. This post also contains affiliate links.

78 Flares Facebook 50 Twitter 4 Pin It Share 24 Google+ 0 78 Flares ×
  • Coretta Fraser May 16, 2014, 12:07 pm

Very nice fit hun!!

• Megan May 16, 2014, 12:32 pm

You made me laugh out loud with step 1! You go girl – you look FANTASTIC and I hope you’re pinning this!

• jennae May 16, 2014, 2:45 pm

Thanks Megan! That’s all that needs to be done, right?
      And yes, I absolutely pinned this ;)

• Whitney Nic James May 16, 2014, 12:49 pm

YES! You look great and I love Walmart swim suits! Love this one!

~Whitney
    Whitney Nic James´s last blog post ..Nic’s List – Ladies Only Bridal Shower Gift Ideas

• Mellisa W. May 16, 2014, 2:50 pm

Love it!!!

• Lavon May 16, 2014, 6:14 pm

I love it!! You have given me the courage to take my shirt off also. I also wear shirts over my bathing suits or a cover up.

• jennae May 23, 2014, 9:40 am

Do it Lavon! It’s amazing to have the freedom of not wearing heavy clothes to swim.

• Janelle King May 16, 2014, 7:52 pm

You better work that bikini!

• Lynn from OrganicMania.com May 16, 2014, 9:29 pm

I love the line, “HOw to rock a bikini…Put it on your body!”

You go, girl!

• jennae May 23, 2014, 9:41 am

Thanks Lynn! It’s really that simple :)

• sommer @greenmom May 17, 2014, 9:22 am

You look great! I never wore a bathing suit as a kid either. Swimming with a t-shirt was what I did too! I see kids doing that now and I feel so sorry for them and wish I could tell them they look great and to love themselves. Still to this day I don’t like putting a bathing suit on and I dislike my stomach area so a bikini scares me to death. I’ve NEVER worn one but you have inspired me. =)
    sommer @greenmom´s last blog post ..How to Not Break Your Neck Biking

• jennae May 23, 2014, 9:44 am

Sommer, I completely agree. I’m so glad that my daughter never really had the example of seeing everyone around her all covered up at the beach. When we lived near the beach, I did it all the time, but she was too young to remember it.

And this is where finding a bikini you feel comfortable wearing is important. I would NEVER wear a string bikini because I’d feel like I’m falling out of it everywhere. But this one gives me support in the right places and coverage where I want it (umm…stretch marks), so I can still feel confident. :)

• Erika May 23, 2014, 12:03 pm

Jennae I just want to hug you! This post is amazing. You are so awesome and you are one hot mama in that suit!

I was dying to try those suits – I saw them too – but I wasn’t sure how I felt about the high waisted suit. But you know, I actually LOVE the retro look and feel that it has and it is so flattering. Maybe it’s time to try it!
    Erika´s last blog post ..OP Swimwear for Girls at Walmart

• Skye June 19, 2014, 5:41 pm

I was at our family reunion this weekend and my mother’s cousin started talking about how she couldn’t wear a bikini because she was “too fat” RIGHT in front of my nieces! I was like “oh hells no this is not happening” and tried to do some conversational damage control. I know the lady in question was raised with that hurtful attitude but wow I hate to see that getting passed along to girls and young women today. :(
    Skye´s last blog post ..And he just sounded so reasonable…

• Stephanie October 13, 2014, 2:08 am

You inspired me to buy the same suit, but in black! I honestly don’t know if I can pull it off and I’m terrified. I’m sure time will tell. I just lost 130lbs and scared of being in my own skin.