Weight Loss Update: 8 Months In

It’s been a while since I’ve written a post about my weight loss, so I wanted to publish a quick update. The Shaklee 180 program in which I was participating is officially over and a new blogger program has started, but that doesn’t mean I’ve quit or reversed course. The opposite is true, in fact.

By the end of the 6-month program, I had lost a total of 44 lbs. — an average of a little less than 8 pounds every single month. Today, a little more than 8 months in, I have reached 53 lbs. lost! What does that look like? Here you go:

weightloss226-1

After losing a little more than 7 lbs. a month while on the program, my weight loss admittedly slowed down for a couple of reasons:

1. Like a lot of people, I was kind of bad about my eating over the holidays and I was lazy about exercising, and it took a while for me to get back on track. I fluctuated in a 2 lb. range for most of January and it was tough to get off that plateau.

2. As my weight has decreased, I’ve also had to decrease my calorie intake so I can continue to lose, and it took some tweaking for me to get it right. At my current calorie level, I should lose 1-1.5 lbs. per week, where I was aiming for 2 lbs. a week while on the program.

3. I’m happy with my current size. Really. All I really want to do now is tone everything up and convert any remaining fat to muscle, particularly around my belly, back and arms. So I need to start doing less cardio and more strength training. But cardio is FUN for me (Zumba, anyone?) and strength training, for the most part, is not. Boo.

Anywho, here are my current measurements:

measurements226

And a before-and-after shot for comparison:

weightloss226-2

I’m incredibly happy with my progress and the complete change in my eating habits. I drink water 99% of the time, so much that my husband actually encourages me to “treat myself sometimes” with juice or a smoothie. When I want a snack, I reach for fruit, and cinnamon Cheerios are my idea of a “treat”. And even better, if I had to eat like this for the rest of my life, I’d be perfectly OK with that. I’ve come to regard sweets like cupcakes, cookies and ice cream as very occasional treats rather than staples of my diet. And that change NEEDED to happen.

So I’ll keep going and I’ll let you know how I’m doing, because sharing keeps me motivated :)

58 Flares Facebook 9 Twitter 1 Pin It Share 48 Google+ 0 58 Flares ×
  • Mango February 27, 2013, 8:10 am

Woohoo! I’m happy for your success:) I myself could lose a couple of lbs especially since I’m munching my way through 2 bags of sweets at this moment. Like you though I generally want to tone up … and rework my eating habits. My only good habit is that I drink a lot of water too as I don’t really like fizzy drinks … my only weakness … sweet food. Well I guess congratulations are in order :) -CONGRATULATIONS !! – I look forward to hearing more about your progress !! Hmm Zumba sounds interesting I just might give it a go this year … :)

• jennae February 27, 2013, 10:23 am

Thanks Mango! Trust me when I say that I feel your pain. Sweets were the hardest things for me to let go. When I first started, I’d snack on Fiber One 90 calorie chocolate bars and occasionally have a couple of Chessmen cookies to help my insatiable sweet tooth. Now, I buy Fuji apples, which are super sweet and usually kill my craving, and I still have the Fiber One bars too. After a while, you’ll realize you just don’t WANT most of it any more. It takes time, but you can get there. And yes — Zumba is awesome. Dancing is my favorite form of exercise :)

• Risqué4 February 27, 2013, 9:21 am

You look great & such an inspiration. Keep it up, now I’m pumped to get loosing.

• jennae February 27, 2013, 10:23 am

Thank you so much! It’s been a long road, but completely worth it!

• Bree February 27, 2013, 11:34 am

Congratulations! You look awesome I’m one of the new #Shaklee180 bloggers, and seeing your success is *such* a great motivator.
    Bree´s last blog post ..What are the best & worst things about being an adult?

• jennae February 27, 2013, 12:11 pm

Thanks Bree! I’ll be following all of your journeys when I can and cheering you on, because it really, really helps to have other people pushing and motivating you. I NEVER thought I’d lose as much as I did on the program, but I am thrilled to pieces that it really worked for me :)

• amy February 27, 2013, 12:02 pm

That is awesome, congrats!
    Coffee Beans and Bobby Pins

• jennae February 27, 2013, 12:14 pm

Thanks so much, Amy!

• Maribel Reyes February 27, 2013, 12:58 pm

I agree, just because the program ended does not mean we have to stop! Your photos are inspiring and the fact that you are still on this journey keeps me motivated. I’m glad you are updating us and are still on board! :D

• jennae February 27, 2013, 6:41 pm

Maribel, you are my eternal inspiration, so we motivate each other. Thanks for always being a ray of sunshine!

• Dhruvi February 27, 2013, 1:20 pm

This is inspiring, Jannae!!!! Congratulations – you look amazing!! You’re definitely motivating me to committing to working out and getting back into shape! xo

Dhruvi
    Stilettos & Sequins

• jennae February 27, 2013, 6:42 pm

Thanks Dhruvi! My only regret is that I waited so long to get my act together. Besides looking better, I just FEEL a whole lot better, so as tough as it was some of the time, it was completely worth the effort!

• Alena February 27, 2013, 2:39 pm

This is so awesome! Way to go!!

• jennae February 27, 2013, 6:43 pm

Thanks Alena!

• Ashley S February 27, 2013, 2:53 pm

Wow!! What an inspiration :) I’m part of the new Shaklee180 Blogger program and can’t wait to get started. Seeing your success has made me even more excited!!! Congrats!

• jennae February 27, 2013, 6:47 pm

Thanks Ashley! I will be following as many of you as I can to be your cheerleader. Having other people in your corner really helps push you through the tough days :)

• Ana February 27, 2013, 3:34 pm

You go girl! You are looking amazing, look at your waist!! I embarked in a weight loss adventure a while ago too. Definitely been hard but SO rewarding!!!

• jennae February 27, 2013, 6:47 pm

Thanks Ana! It is completely rewarding, and I’m never going back!

• Krista (Playdate Crashers) February 27, 2013, 3:42 pm

Oh my goodness! Girl, look at your waist! You look fantastic! :)

Congratulations on doing such an awesome job!
    Krista (Playdate Crashers)´s last blog post ..Scavenger Hunt With Friends App

• jennae February 27, 2013, 6:48 pm

Thank you Krista! I can’t even lie — I am so happy to see the return of an actual waistline..lol!

• cynthia hunt March 3, 2013, 7:25 pm

I was wondering could you tell me what kind of food you at to lose the weight.

• jennae March 8, 2013, 8:05 pm

Hi Cynthia. I did the Shaklee 180 program for six months. Check out a href=”http://www.greenandgorgeous.net/category/health/”>my posts about my weight loss journey for more info.

• Lauren {at} Life.Love.Lauren March 6, 2013, 3:20 pm

You look great! Your hard work is paying off!!

• jennae March 8, 2013, 10:07 pm

Thanks Lauren! I’m really proud of how far I’ve come.

• Sara @ Mom Endeavors March 8, 2013, 1:34 pm

DANG–look at your waist!!! Amazing!! I just started Shaklee 180 this week and this is just the motivation I need! You look awesome!! Congrats!
    Sara @ Mom Endeavors´s last blog post ..BISSELL CleanView Vacuum Review

• jennae March 8, 2013, 10:09 pm

Thanks Sara! I wish you the very best on your Shaklee journey. I am so thankful for the progress I’ve made, and I’m not going back!

• Vivi March 8, 2013, 2:34 pm

I am delighted to have discovered your blog. Someone on FB posted a recent outfit post of you and I loved the look. So, I clicked on your FB page then found my way to your blog…and to this post. I, too, am currently embarking on my healthy journey. I, too, am participating in a fitness group – well, challenge – (BLM Get Fit) through a FB group page (BLM Girls). I started this Jan and so far, so good. The challenge ends the first week of April. Even if I win or lose, I will still continue on my journey because I am truly enjoying every moment.

Congratulations on your recent mark! Reading your post gave me even NEW inspiration. Thank you.

• jennae March 8, 2013, 10:10 pm

Thank you so much Vivi! I wish you the best of luck on your journey to better health. For me, it’s honestly less about the weight and more about how I feel on the inside. Taking care of myself genuinely feels good, and that’s the best part of my story :)

• Amy, At the Pink of Perfection March 12, 2013, 11:40 pm

Whoohoooooo! You look awesome girl! Weightloss is TOUGH, and I hand it to you!